Archive for the ‘Fitness Friday’ Category
Disclosure: This is completely a thought post and I’m not really serious about my allegations at all.
I remember when he passed – it was crazy! I knew one girl who cried and everything. Christopher Wallace was a talented man who will forever be known as one of the best artists that rocked the hip hop nation.
I have to be honest, when I heard he died the first person that came to mind was Diddy (known then as Puff Daddy). Why?
Although Diddy might have helped Biggie with his stardom, we all know who the sidekick was – Diddy. Biggie was the man. He had it all, fame, fortune, and a family. It’s tragic that he died during the height of his career. Although he was gone, Diddy did carry that torch for Bad Boy Entertainment.
After Puffy’s rendition of I’ll Be Missing You, I couldn’t discredit the amount of attention he received. “…through your family I’ll fulfill your dreams…” That phrase alone made me think it was all a
dream conspiracy. Faith Evans (Biggie’s wife) and Diddy were having an affair and that’s what he meant by through your family I’ll fulfill your dreams. Crazy conspiracy theory, huh?
Another tip off was all of a sudden, Diddy was everywhere! He was no longer under the shadow of Biggie, he ran Bad Boy Entertainment with a golden torch, and his Sean Jean clothing line really took off. Diddy created himself a personal brand and everyone knew him.
I don’t think he would have been as successful as he is now if Biggie were alive today. He would still be the wingman. He wouldn’t have multiple reality series shows on MTV or VH1, and no one would be saying, “Bitchassness,” (which I use often – when I drive!).
So that’s my conclusion, Diddy killed Biggie and covered it up. Now he’s so successful, no one will question him.
Ahh. That’s probably not what happened! Of course I don’t really think Diddy did it! On the real, it probably was Suge Knight. (img frm kindercore) He was the man behind Death Row Records and after Tupac accused Biggie of getting a hitman on him (the first time Tupac got shot), it was down hill from there. The rivalry between the West and East rappers was born! I believe that’s when I kept hearing, “Westside!”. Eh. (If you say “Eastside” it doesn’t sound as cool). Suge probably hired a hitman to get Biggie.
This is all just speculation. We’ll never know who took the life of one of the best rappers ever. All we can do now is hope that Biggie is resting in peace. What do you think?
MaR_advice: Please share your thoughts with me. Who do you think killed Biggie and why? Also – what is your favorite Biggie song? Mine is Hypnotize. Have a save and wonderful weekend!
I came to NoVA to attend college at George Mason University (Go Patriots!). After graduation, I decided to stay in the area to pursue my career of choice and just be in a location where there’s a lot of diversity, and more events to attend that you can’t find at home (I’m from VA Beach). Even though I’ve lived in this area for about six years, I always enjoy coming home and there are some events that I wish I couldn’t have known about or attended. (img frm cpdulles)
My friend, Ji, created a blog called VB2DC. The blog is “a one stop shop/site streamlining event promotional info, highlighting local talent, and facilitating a meeting of the minds to hopefully spark more collaboration, community, and cultural production” from Virginia Beach to Washington, D.C.
The Internet allows us to be connected in ways we never imagined. We can connect to the web via cell phones, we engage in conversations with social networking platforms like blogs, Twitter or Facebook. With webcams, we can even see the people we love that are thousands of miles away via chat services like Skype of ooVoo. (img frm ultimatetaxi)
My point is: no matter where you go, home is at your fingertips via the Internet. Sometimes things in life can be really crazy and you feel like you don’t have time. VB2DC keeps me connected to the events at Va. Beach and D.C. It really is a one stop shop.
MaR_advice: There’s nothing wrong keeping yourself connected to your hometown. Use what the Internet has to offer. If you feel you’re not getting the best of both worlds (yes, Miley Cyrus rocks…hahah) then, create a social network or a community. If you need help, let me know!
Disclaimer: Due to the fun-loving event Halloween is, I’ve decided to dedicate a post to the holiday and to let your brain rest for this Friday.
It’s been a while since Halloween’s been on a Friday! I don’t know about you, but for me, dressing up for the holiday gets more fun as you get older! So many people enjoy creating their costumes and I’ve actually heard of some creative ones.
My BF’s brother is going to be Iron Man – no, not the super hero, but literally Iron Man. My sister was telling me about her co-worker dressing up as a serial killer by taking cereal boxes and slashing and making the boxes his costume. People are so innovative! My friend, Jen, was Mario (from Mario Brothers) and she made her own costume. I even helped her become a human version of the game Operation for her office costume contest.
Inspired by Jen and Janelle’s posts, I’ve decided provide you pictures of my past costumes from college to prove that you can have fun making costumes w/o spending tons of $$$ to create your vision.
<< Freshman year (pic: an angel, me, and a hostess): I was supposed to be Christina Aguilera from her Dirty video. NOT my idea! I had on chaps and everything. Thank goodness you cant really see them. I’m not THAT scandalous. Never again will I repeat that costume. NEVER. Cost of costume: $15. I only had to buy the chaps!
>> Sophomore year (pic: Cleopatra, me, a jester, and a construction worker): I made my own costume. I was a referee. You can’t see it, but I actually had on black and white knee length soccer socks on with cleats. I couldn’t find a black and white vertical striped shirt for the life of me! those stripes are made out of iron-on stripes! Crazy huh? Cost of costume: About $30-$35. The only thing I didn’t pay for because I owned it previous before the costume were the shorts and cleats. I borrowed the hat from my roomie and I purchased the white shirt for about $4 at Michael’s. The whistle, the iron-on stripes and the socks probably cost me about $25 total.
Junior year: I was a cop and literally just put on a white tank and black pants. I purchased a fake badge and gun as my accessories. I believe I even had handcuffs. Sadly, I don’t have a picture of my outfit. Sorry! Cost of outfit: $12. I only had to pay for the accessories!
>> Senior year (me and Quail Man): I dressed up as Flavor Flav! Look at my clock! I bet he doesn’t have one like that!The Viking hat came second after my dope phi dope purple glasses. I was warm in this costume, too. Cost of costume: About $20. The clock was free because my friend worked at a doctor’s office and they had tons of clocks from the pharmaceutical reps. I purchased the hat, rings and glasses from Party City. I really wish I had a grill, but I didn’t want to put tin foil on my teeth and have it ruin my enamel. What? The Halloween candy was bad enough!
So there you have it: Mar through the years. I didn’t participate last year because I was busy planning my BF’s parents’ 25th wedding anniversary. However this year, I’ve decided to go all out and just purchase my costume instead of wearing a makeshift one.
<< This year, I am going to be a warrior princess that needs a sword. =/ I honestly didn’t have time to create a costume because of work and just being overall stressed. Cost of costume: $28. It pays to have friends who work at a costume shop, thanks Suz! The original price was $40 for everything minus my black ankle boots.
MaR_advice: So you can have a thrifty and fun costume at the same time. Just give yourself a budget and stick to it! Use your resources to achieve your vision! Have a safe Halloween. Please do not drink and drive, and don’t forget to say trick or treat!
Disclaimer: I know yesterday’s post said I was going to start the editorial calendar on Monday, but I really wanted to weigh in my thoughts on this subject matter…so the editorial calendar starts today.
At that time, the economy was in ‘decent’ shape. Soon enough gas prices posed as Chicken Little and forewarned us about a recession rather than the sky falling. I presume for some people, the sky could fall and it wouldn’t help them with this current state of economy.
As a young professional, it’s hard not to worry. My boss prepped the team and even developed a plan months before America’s economic state was officially deemed a recession. His plan safeguarded the company from any obstacles this recession presented. For every plan A, there’s a plan B.
I’m not an expert, but this is my first time experiencing a recession and I’ve learned a few things from what I’ve examined, read and heard.
- Be positive. No one wants to be around a Debbie Downer. We all know what’s going on with the economy. Even the people who don’t read the news know what’s going on! We have to keep our head up high and not let this recession hinder us from being better at our jobs, personal lives and better in general.
- Ask questions. No question is a stupid question. You need to ask questions if you’re scared about what’s going on. Talk to someone who’s been through tough times like this (i.e. someone who experienced the dot com bust in the 90’s). Figure out what they did to rise above.
- For the jobless: keep searching. For people who are still looking for jobs, don’t lose hope. Be patient. You’ll know when a job is a good fit for you.
- For the employed: work even harder. Now is the time to show your boss, clients and customers what you’re made of. Take your work ethic to the next level and give 120% instead of 110%. Show your commitment to your job and your clients/customers. Remember, a little can go a long way.
- Give Back. You can’t help everyone who’s heavily effected by this recession, so go out there help those you can – especially the homeless and the needy. There are many soup kitchens, food drives and other volunteer services you can participate in. You can save the world, with one random act of kindness at a time.
We can get through this. We just need to keep our head in the game (BTW, High School Musical 3 comes out today!).
MaR_advice: One of my tips to help find a solution for this recession is to vote. People are scared and they need some type of reassurance that they’ll all get through this. No one knows what the future brings, but we all can make a difference. Gray’s Papaya might be giving away $1 recession specials, but if you don’t vote – you’re giving away one voice that will help shape the future this country and economy need. What tips do you offer to help people get through this economic state?
What is MaR_advice? I love giving advice to my family and friends about anything. I wanted my personal blog to reflect what I love conversing about most and at the same time providing my opinion and thoughts. Thus the birth of MaR_advice.
Just like work, I will blog mostly on weekdays. Here is my editorial calendar:
- Monday, Monday: Posts about anything. Need advice about something in particular? Ping me.
- Tech Tuesday: My BF is a huge tech geek, which is why I’ve started to dabble in the technology sector. Every Tuesday I will discuss something in technology. I might even have the BF write something every once in a while…maybe.
- Wednesday Review: I LOVE watching movies, listening to music…and reading books (well one series in particular, but I’ll share that next Wednesday). I’ll provide a measuring system for my reviews, so you can gauge my opinion.
- Thursday Happy Hours are from 5-7: Means Girls is my favorite movie. I’ve dedicated my Thursdays to entertainment news.
- Fitness Friday:The title is not what you think. I will not be giving you tips on how to be fit (haha…that would be funny coming out of my mouth). I will however, provide enough information to get your mind moving, to exercise your brain, and hopefully get your input on certain topics like dare I say, the economy.
- I do hope you enjoy my weekly ranting and ravings. My editorial calendar official starts next Monday. Tomorrow’s post is a surprise!
- Happy Thursday!
- MaR_advice: Shameless promotion: come back every day to read my blog. Thanks!